Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hurricane Sagas

I'm going to be a spoiled brat for a few minutes. I am currently sitting in a crowded Panera restaurant with an instrumental version of Play that Funky Music playing merrily overhead and the remnants of a yummy lunch beside me. Normally I would be nothing but happy with food and my computer, but this visit was forced upon me by the lack of electricity at my house.

Now, I know that there are tons of people in the world who are much worse off than I am right now but at the moment I feel alone in my electricity-less life. We've been out since Monday afternoon and I've been freezing and bored ever since.

Tuesday there was a ray of hope. The outage update from the electric company said they expected us to be restored by 3:00 that day. Hooray! But, 3:00 came and went and I was now sad, cold, and still bored. When I went to bed that night the houses across the street were lit up like Christmas trees as I tripped over air with my flashlight.

The outage update was changed to "as soon as possible", by the way.

Today, another flicker of hope! There were dozens of utility workers and trucks on the block behind our house. I adored them. I texted pictures of them to all my loved ones. I proposed marriage.

Then they left.

Without. Fixing. My. Electric.

And here I sit.

No comments:

Post a Comment