Saturday, November 10, 2012

Sunday Social: All About Thanksgiving!

Sunday Social


Thanksgiving is my FAVORITE HOLIDAY!!

It was not always my favorite holiday. I was a Christmas girl all the way up until I moved to Baltimore. Now, I completely understand and appreciate the beauty of Thanksgiving and all it has to offer. I mean...food, football, family, shopping the next day...what's not to love?

So here goes!

Favorite Thanksgiving Memory: I have two.

I'll start with the funny one. A few years ago I was in the kitchen helping my mom get the turkey ready for the oven. We had it unwrapped and removed all the inner disgustingness. For some reason her and I started goofing around with the turkey and she ended up picking it up to make it dance. It slipped out of her hands and landed *THUNK* on the floor. We picked that bad boy up real quick, gave it a quick bath, and shoved it in the oven, laughing so hard the whole time.

The second story may seem sad, but stick with me. Two weeks after I moved to Baltimore from Pittsburgh, I received the most awful phone call of my life. My brother had passed away. This was early September. As I said, I had only been in Baltimore a few weeks. I did NOT want to return to Baltimore after the funeral was over. I think I cried harder on the drive BACK to Baltimore than I did on the drive up to Pittsburgh for the funeral. I was a mess and was convinced that moving here was the worst mistake ever (I eventually got over it and have grown to love BMore). Anyway, the next time that I went home after that was Thanksgiving. I counted down for that holiday for months and could not have been more happy to be home. It really made me appreciate everything that family represents. I know that seems like an odd choice for best memory, but it was like an awakening about the true importance of family and thankfulness. That is what Thanksgiving is all about.

Favorite Thanksgiving Food: You know, people ask me all the time what I eat for Thanksgiving dinner. I am vegetarian and for some reason people can't seem to see anything but the turkey. I think they are all crazy. It's all delicious. But, I am sorry, I will NOT be confined to just one favorite choice! I love, love, love mashed potatoes. I don't make them for myself, so mashed potatoes are a holiday luxury. But, my mom makes great cornbread stuffing and there is always an awesome vegetable casserole too! Plus, cranberry sauce and warm bread! Yum! And pumpkin pie with whipped cream! Oh, Lord. I love everything but the turkey.

What is a Thanksgiving Tradition you and your family have? We usually watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and whatever awful teams are playing football. Good football never seems to happen on Thanksgiving. We always pray before eating and some Thanksgivings I can get people to play board games with me. :)

Show us a favorite Thanksgiving picture(or 5) from years past: We don't take a lot of pictures for Thanksgiving. :( I have Christmas pictures and random pictures from when I am home for Thanksgiving. But, they are not Thanksgiving-ish to most.


Here is my mom and her cat.

Here is me during some early morning shopping on Friday


What are you most looking forward to about this Thanksgiving? Being home. :) Seeing my family and friends. Seeing my baby Goddaughter for the first time since she was a newborn. And mashed potatoes.


1 comment: